Friday, April 18, 2008

Spring just makes me happy.

I know we're expecting thunderstorms this weekend, but I just have to say that these sunny days and warm breezes have done wonders for my soul. I love hearing the birds in the morning and seeing buds on the trees (even the stinky ones). I love seeing the bulbs coming up and being able to go for walks in the sun. I love the smell of hyacinths. It reminds me of one of my favorite poems:

If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
And of thy slender store two loaves alone are left,
Sell one
And with the dole,
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

6 comments:

brook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brook said...

(I accidently deleted my comment.)

Is that what stinks? Yesterday I was outside and no matter what part of the city I was in I thought, "Salt Lake City is smelly!!" It smelled like mildew and diapers. I love spring too!

Heidi said...

Yes, it's those big trees with the beautiful white blossoms. They REEK!

Erin said...

I've never heard that poem before. Who wrote it? It's perfect.

Heidi said...

I first learned it in a college Humanities class, but a Google search reveals that the author is Muslih-uddin Sadi, a 13th-century Persian poet admired by American transcendentalists.

And apparently I have left out some words from the original. Oh well. The essence is the same.

K said...

Amen, Sister!