Last night was pretty eventful for the little guy. First, we replaced the tape holding his oxygen and feeding tubes in place, so we got to see his naked face for the first time.

It's not the best picture, and we didn't have the chance to take many more because we didn't want to leave him without oxygen for very long. He's doing his John McCain face again. We'll have to work on his Obama impression... ;-)
Second, he got his very first bath. We weren't sure how he would react to the water. I kept reminding him he's a Pisces, so he should like the water. For preemies they do what's called a "swaddle bath," where you keep him swaddled in a blanket in the water so they don't feel too exposed and vulnerable. And it helps with keeping a grip on that slippery little body. Here he is going into the water:

Oooooh yeah, he liked that a lot. He was still all squirmy and fussy from getting his tape removed, but as soon as we put him in that warm water, he got really mellow really fast. The pacifier didn't hurt, either.

(Yes, I'm wearing the same shirt I wore Sunday. Forgive me for not being more creative on a Monday morning.) With me is Atty's nurse Emily. We really like Emily. She's one of his primary care nurses, so we see her a lot.

Still mellow and content...

He didn't like getting out of the water one bit. He wailed, but he calmed down pretty quickly once he got all wrapped up and snuggly.

Then we had to get him diapered and dressed and put his feeding tube back in, which he didn't like at all. But here he is all warm and clothed and snuggly and getting fed (you can see the formula tube from the pump in the lower right corner). He's up to 42 ml per feeding, and he's just over 5 lbs now. He still fits into his preemie clothes, and everything else is still too big. Probably not for long, though.
So that's how Atty spent his first (month) birthday. Emily said she put a little cake in his formula to celebrate. :) We are so proud of our little man.
9 comments:
SO cute! It's so great to see his face more and more. I love the last picture in the series, even though he has his feeding tube in. You can see his little mouth.
I love the John McCain face.
I do love that little mouth, with the pouty bottom lip. He has the most beautiful little mouth and chin. Of course I think all of him is beautiful, but I especially like those parts.
Did you have to include the photo of his johnny-jake? Let him keep some dignity, please.
Up until now, I've only seen smidges of "James" or "Heidi" in his face. That last photo with the pouty lip is totally Heidi...
Do you have any newborn photos of you two so we can compare?
You really think so, Suz? I don't see it. But then again, I don't see my own face as much as other people do. I think the mouth and chin are James's, but his coloring and nose are more Poulson. I don't have any baby photos of myself. I should get some from Mom.
What a sweet baby, Heidi and James! I'm so glad that things are improving, and it's fun to see pictures of him. But to see all that you are going through is amazing. Aren't you thankful that we live where and when we do and that hospitals provide such amazing medical procedures and care?! We're praying for you!
His johnny-jake? haha...love it.
I think it's adorable, just like the rest of him!
I love that picture of you and him in the bath, Heidi.
Hey Heidi and james. He is so cute. We love keeping up with his milestones on the internet. We are glad that he is doing so well, and can't wait to see him. Love you guys!!
Sandi
Post a Comment