Thursday, April 10, 2008

Reality Check

As thrilled as we were that Atty drank his first bottle like a champ, we have since learned that it is highly unusual for a baby his age to do so well consistently. Apparently the suck-spit trick he was doing the other night was normal.

So we're taking a step back and working on developing good skills before we focus on volume. Last night he took about 15 ml really well, and when he started spitting, we stopped the bottle feeding. I told the nurse that we were disappointed with the step back because we wanted him to be above average, and she said we could focus on that once he reaches 40 weeks. (We were joking, of course.)

So he's right on schedule and doing great. I'm still a little worried about the desaturations, but he did much better last night, and he's not showing any other signs of sickness, so we're not getting too concerned yet.

Here's a short video James took the other night. Atty doesn't do much, but I think it's cute that he's holding onto my shirt. And you can hear the infernal dinging of his saturation monitor. It sounds the same whether he's high (like he was in this video) or low.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love the still photo! The perspective makes his one fist look HUGE, like he's saying he's gonna Knock. You. Out.

:)

Every little step forward is great!