Sunday, October 23, 2016

Thoughts on deep cleaning.

Yesterday was a deep cleaning day, and it felt good. And now I'm restless to attack the rest of the house, but I'm going to pace myself.

By the time I got out of bed, James had cleaned the bathroom, started the laundry, made a shopping list, and raked up a bunch of leaves. I knew I had to pull my weight. So I attacked the kitchen. I moved the appliances on the counter, wiped them down, and cleaned underneath and around them. I cleaned the toaster oven and the top of the microwave. I organized the storage cabinet and moved a bunch of jars and miscellaneous items to the basement. I cleaned off the top of the storage cabinet and arranged the stuff on the refrigerator doors. I wiped down cabinet doors and cleaned the outside of the trash cans. Later I moved the couches and swept up the dust bunnies and found a bunch of interesting stuff.

So often in our cleaning we focus on the big stuff and just move things to the corners or shove them in a closet. (Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself here.) And most of the time that's fine. But I've been feeling cluttered lately, and just moving the piles of stuff or even throwing it away didn't feel like enough. All the junk and dust lurking in the corners was getting me down.

So now when I look at my kitchen there is still a pile of stuff on the table and assorted things on the counters. But the kitchen still feels clean. The living room feels clean.

A long time ago I heard someone say, "If you want a clean house, take care of the corners. Scrub those corners well, and the middle will take care of itself." I'm finding that to be true.

The implications and analogies here are endless. When life feels overwhelming and cluttered, pay attention to the dusty corners and closets where you shove stuff to deal with later. What am I avoiding? What have I hidden and ignored?

It's not all bad stuff. When I was going through some of my craft supplies to get ready to teach a class on making felt Christmas ornaments, I found a paper Christmas garland that I had started a couple years ago but never finished. I think I'll finish that this year. What other treasures might I find that I wasn't ready to complete before but might be ready to tackle now?

Anyway, those are my thoughts for today. I'm ready to start digging out of this painful year and start making progress again.

*Later*
It felt fantastic to be so productive, but by the time we went grocery shopping, my leg and ankle hurt enough that I regretted not bringing the cane. And this morning both legs hurt enough (the right one from taking me up and down the stairs several times yesterday) that I did take the cane to church. It was a helpful reminder that my inactivity hasn't been completely without reason. Trying not to overdo it.

1 comment:

Jerry and Jenene said...

I love your progress and accomplishments and your attitude. And I love your analogy.