Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Surreality

James and Atticus stuck around for a while after the ambulance took me away. (The had to wait for the police to be done before they could get a ride.) The force of the crash knocked one of Atticus's shoes off, and James couldn't find his hat or glasses for half an hour. The Luke Skywalker figure Atticus was holding lost his head, which we've still not found. 

They sedated me to set and splint my leg. Everything was a bit fuzzy after that. I came to while getting a CAT scan The cervical collar was a lot more uncomfortable than the contraption on my leg. (More leg contraption photos to come.)
They kept me pretty well drugged up for the first couple days. Man, I love morphine. I'd have intense dreams as I drifted in and out of consciousness in which this whole situation was part of some greater plot or operation. I'd never remember the details, but I had a sense of importance. At one point I "drunk-texted" James (on opiates and with double vision): "I keep forgetting what I'm doing here and wh3 whenwdid I start drikiu?" I sent him a photo of my bruised chest with the message: "I figured as long as I'm drunk texting--please confirm the following: I am the only known operative in gntne ... in the hospital at this time."

It took a while for that feeling to pass. Sometimes I still wonder.

James walked away with relatively minor injuries, with abrasions and chemical burns from the airbags on his hands and massive bruising from the seat belt. I still have a hard bruise ridge across my belly from the seat belt, too, but I must say it's much better than the alternative.



These photos still blow me away. James and Atticus went to get the last of our belongings from our car (still no sign of Luke's head), and the car looks even more surreal out of the context of the accident. But this last picture will make me a Subaru owner for life: as messed up as the engine block is, all damage ends where the passenger cabin starts. This car saved our lives. 
I can hardly bear to consider how differently this whole situation could have ended. It keeps me from feeling too sorry for myself.

1 comment:

Lara said...

It's the "What could have beens" that were killing me, too. It's unbearable to think about.