Friday, July 27, 2012

Envy and Resentment

I miss my car. I really miss my car. It wasn't perfect, but it was comfy and reliable and my color and had all sorts of bells and whistles: moon roof, heated leather seats, wood trim, automatic everything, a stereo that encompassed you in music when you turned it up loud (and I like my music loud). And it was stylish and made me feel hip. I never feel hip. 
James says he resents it every time he sees another Outback on the road. How come they get to keep theirs while ours is smashed? We parked next to one almost identical to ours the other day, and the woman was smoking inside. How could she defile "our" car like that?

I may envy other Subaru drivers, but I don't resent them. I resent those who drive big trucks. Sure, there are plenty of reasons to need a truck like this: towing a boat or trailer, hauling farm or construction equipment, maintaining off-road trails and such.
But really, how many big truck owners actually do any of those things? How often? And do they really need an urban assault vehicle to do it? Or are they driving it because it's tough and manly and makes them feel powerful? So powerful that they can drive too fast on a mountain road and not pay attention to where they're going? I get angry when I see them advertised on tv, when I see them on the road. Especially if the radio's too loud and the driver's hat is on backwards.

I know this is my problem, and like many things, I just need to get over it. But if you do happen to own one of these trucks, would you mind not driving it near me for a while? Thanks. 

4 comments:

Rachel Vickers said...

Oh Heidi! I completely understand how you feel! It's not fair and it really sucks! I feel the same way when I see happy families -- especially ones with adorable babies. It'll get better. And hopefully you will find a new car with all the bells and whistles that make you happy. Hang in there!

Lara said...

I agree! Totally understandable. Love you!

Jenene said...

You're right. It's not fair. And hopefully soon you will have a nice car again that you will love just the same. Then it will be easier to forget and forgive. And when you can walk again without something wrapped around your leg. I like the way you are able to express your feelings so clearly.

Lara said...

Can we get a picture of the boot?

Ok, typing that totally made me think in a German accent: Das Boot!