Monday, March 30, 2009

Breaking barriers

Ok, that title sounds like I just won the nobel prize or something, but all I did was lose a few pounds. But oh how significant those pounds!

I'm going to break Woman Rule #1 and tell you how much I weigh/weighed: right before I got pregnant, I weighed about 190. This was the heaviest I'd ever been, a number I swore I'd never reach. Luckily I didn't gain a whole lot with pregnancy: my highest was about 205. But for a couple years before then I was in the 180s: sometimes high, sometimes low. I went on Weight Watchers a couple times and had some success, but I just couldn't get below 170. And after weeks of hovering at 170.2, 170.4, 170.0, I'd give up.

SO...imagine my delight when I stepped on the scale yesterday and saw 168! Woo hoo! I haven't seen the 160s for years! And I hope not to stay here long. I have 33 more pounds to lose before I hit my target weight of 135. That's toward the top of my healthy range, but it's a weight I think I can maintain. And considering that I weighed about 150 when I got married, it's a long time coming. I have no need to be a size 2 or to have ripped abs or Michelle Obama arms. But I want to be healthy, I want to be more active, and I want to be stronger.

And I just bought a sewing book that has cute skirts and dresses I want to make and look good in. It always comes back to vanity, doesn't it?

Anyway, I just had to share my success. And I'm going to need a lot of support to lose the rest of the weight, so I hope you don't mind if I post periodically about my progress.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations!! It's so nice to see those numbers go down. We should take some walks or something when it finally stops snowing six inches every night.

Lara said...

That's awesome! What's your plan?

K said...

Yay! That's impressive.
I definitely need to moving, let's go on walks!

We are in the March/April edition of Wasatch Woman.

Carlee said...

I think that is so great Heidi. Not that you don't look fantastic now, but it's nice to feel like you are moving closer to what is ideal. I have been about 30 pounds heavier (and not not just when I was pregnant) and it was so good to get back to a weight that made me feel comfortable and like myself again. We're up for walks too!

Gordita said...

You're awesome! Keep up the good work!

Vicki said...

I'm way late in this, but congratulations, Heidi! You are an inspiration!