Last night was a first: James felt the baby kick. We were both pretty excited. I don't know if this means he liked the stir-fry we had for dinner or that he didn't like it. Or maybe he was just bored. Who knows. I've been feeling him move around more, but he's never kicked that hard before. I swear you could see my pants move. I'm looking forward to interacting with him more as he gets bigger and more active.
I'm feeling pretty good these days, and I'm making progress on the nursery. We've picked out a crib but feel no need to buy it for a while. A friend is lending us her bassinet for the first few months, so he won't need it until the fall. And we don't have much room to store it until then anyway.
We went baby shopping on Saturday, and James got a little traumatized. We went to Babies R Us, which had everything we were looking for and at good prices, but seeing all the other super-fancy overpriced pretentious stuff was just a bit too much for him. His comment: "It's surreal to see this ridiculous $5000 crib and realize that's normal for some people. I'm not saying our baby is better than this, but he's definitely different." I couldn't agree more.
Neither of us is very fond of the standard baby gear, all the lights and noise on the playmats and bouncy chairs, all the pastels and WAY too much blue. And the matching nursery sets and miniature-adult clothes--it all makes me a little ill. There's nothing wrong with these things in moderation, but there isn't much out there to balance it with, nothing that suits our family's personality.
So I've decided to do something about it. I started by buying a bunch of white onesies, and I plan to dye them bright colors. Maybe do some tie-dye, maybe add embroidery or iron-ons. I have plans to make my own mobile of felt birds with wings made of fun fabrics, and in purging my fabric stash, I rediscovered some great fabric for little shorts and even a psychedelic blankie. The problem is, I have to make it all. And I need to get started now before I get too big and uncomfortable to sew. So we'll see if any of this actually happens. But I like knowing I have options.
3 comments:
i knew you'd cave! welcome to the greatest addiction and waste of time there ever was. Great way to stay in touch though I gotta admit!
Hey! I was mentioned! (The whole bassinet thing).
I totally agree about all the crazy materialistic baby stuff. I don't know about the general populace, but it seems like some people spend more on their kids than on anything else. However, material things don't make a child's life better. Parents do that. So, your kid is all set!
K, I figured I'd return the favor. :)
Post a Comment