Friday, March 23, 2012

Atticus quote of the day (after finishing a doughnut): "Mom, can I have a wipe? I have boy spit on my hands."

Today was a good day to be a mama. We've had a few rough days, with missed naps and overactive energies, but today we seem to be back to normal. Friday is the day we don't have to be anywhere. We frequently spend part of Fridays with Atticus's best buddy Caleb, but he was getting his tonsils out this morning, so we were on our own.

We slept in until 8:30, then had a leisurely morning snuggling on the couch and watching Iron Man and Jimmy Neutron. I meant to go to the gym, but we were having a good time so I skipped it. Atticus likes to keep me company in the bathroom, and today he entertained himself by balancing on the edge of the bathtub. He wanted me to help him cross it, but I encouraged him to try it on his own. One little sideways step, then another and another until he made it across. His eyes lit up and he was so excited he'd done it. He did it several more times before he was done.

I love that light in his eyes. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of him taking unnecessary risks, but how do you accomplish anything without risk? (I want to feel that same sense of wonder and accomplishment. What do I need to risk?)

Later we went to the park, and he talked to me the whole time. We both were happy to be in each other's company. It's a good feeling.

Then he had his four-year checkup, and I was afraid to spoil the mood by telling him he needed a shot. Luckily he never asked. He was happy and cooperative for the doctor, playing with her instruments and telling her about the jets he wants for his back so he can fly away when he sees something scary. There was a bit of trauma when I told him about the shot, but he was brave when the time came. Hence the doughnut.

I won't bore you with more details of the rest of our day, but it was good to reconnect with my son after a grumpy week.

1 comment:

Heather said...

He is so cutie Heidi. I hope to have one just like him. I love his little voice and how he knows everything about trains. I cannot believe he is getting so big so fast. love you and your wonderful family.