Tuesday, March 13, 2012

New Foods

So we've tried a couple new things recently. Here's my review.

Oven-Roasted Jerusalem Artichokes

I've been curious about Jerusalem Artichokes/sunchokes for a while. They're not actually chokes, more like the tuber of a certain species of sunflower plants. So when they showed up in my Bountiful Basket co-op share, I figured it was time. They roasted nicely and were crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The flavor is mild and sweet, much like sunflower seeds. But something about them made me gag a little. They tasted fine, so it was a mental block. I had a good helping the first day, but I couldn't finish the leftovers.

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

This wasn't the first time I'd eaten brussels sprouts, but it was my first success cooking them. These were really fresh and beautiful, and they cooked up fantastically. If it weren't for the resulting gas, I could eat these every day. And I don't think I used a full three slices of bacon even. My bacon was frozen, so I just chopped some off the end. I didn't use the olive oil called for in the recipe, just bacon grease.

I kept thinking of my sister Lara the whole time I was enjoying them. She used to request curried meatballs and brussels sprouts for her birthday every year, two dishes I hated. I could almost stomach the meatballs, but brussels sprouts? She couldn't really LIKE them; it had to be a scheme to gross the rest of us out. I still don't think I'll be buying frozen ones anytime soon, but I'm converted otherwise.

Fresh Garbanzo Beans. Image source.

I saw these at Harmons and had to try them. I'd never seen them fresh before, and they're really tasty. Smaller than the dried ones, and they taste like peas. There's usually only one bean per pod, so it's kind of fiddly to eat them. I don't see these becoming a regular in my diet, but they were a tasty novelty.

So there you have my food adventures. More to come, I hope.

No comments: