Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Atty Update

It's official: Atticus is still the cutest boy in our universe. And he's good and sweet and funny. We are AWFULLY fond of him. That's not to say he doesn't drive us crazy sometimes. Or every day.

He's just coming out of a phase where "on" was his favorite word. Every light--in the house, in the car, on other cars, in a streetlight, EVERY light he passed--brought on a chorus of "on! on! on! on! on!" "On!" could mean, "Hey, that light is on!" or "Hey, I want to turn that light on!" or "Hey, there's a light!" In any case it wouldn't stop until you acknowledged that either yes, that light is on, or no, that light is off, and we're not going to turn it on right now. Just saying "uh-huh" or "yeah" wasn't enough.

He now knows the word "off", which is a huge relief to my ears, and he's mostly accurate in his descriptions. And although I hear "on!" and "off!" a bajillion times a day, it's not nearly as obsessive as it was. The other day I heard him talking to himself, saying, "On? No, off. On? No, off."

His other new word is "poop." We're not ready to start full-on potty training, but I try to call attention to the times he's pooping so he makes the connection between the feeling and the result. I heard him grunting in the kitchen, so I asked, "Are you pooping?" to which he responded, "Yeah." Then when he was done he came and sat in front of me and said (with a little pride?) "poop." So we changed his diaper and dumped the poop in the toilet with much praise and excitement.

He still loves to play at the Little Gym--the boy is in constant motion from the moment he walks in the door. And he's getting more daring, crossing the balance beam (with help) and swinging on bars and doing somersaults and running in circles on the big mat.

He gives us lots of kisses and hugs, and he still likes to snuggle. I've started watching a friend's baby three times a week, and he gives her soft kisses on her cheeks. He asks about baby when she's gone. This kid needs a younger brother. I guess we'd better get working on that...

He's learning and growing so much every day, it's hard to keep up with him sometimes. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to try.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He is such a sweet combination you and James!!! You got it face it. . . .he's perfect!!! LOL Nana