Tuesday, May 11, 2010

This makes me happier than it should

I am so thrilled with my latest accomplishment: a consolidated pantry! I'd had half here and more of the canned goods in the back room, but both areas were ineffecient and cluttered, so I weeded out the old stuff and rearranged the shelves and lo and behold, it all fit.

But more than the joy of a completed task, having this store of food satisfies a deep need in me. I've never gone hungry, and I'm not all that worried about an impending disaster, but having food storage makes me very, very happy.
This is just phase one of a much larger project to purge and reorganize all my clutter spots: the living room closet, the back room, and the craft room. I took "before" pictures of each space, but I'm not ready to post them. I don't want to unveil my disaster areas until they're pretty. But trust me, they're completely out of hand.
To keep from getting too overwhelmed, I made the goal to get rid of one load of stuff each week. One week the stuff went to DI, the next week we took all the glass and cardboard to the recycling place. Last week I put some larger items on the "neighborhood cleanup" pile, and scavengers had picked them all up by that afternoon. That made me happy, because it was mostly scrap wood that was perfectly usable, just not for someone like me without tools and woodworking skills.
Eventually, it will all be as pretty as my pantry. I hope.

2 comments:

Lara said...

Have you been watching "Hoarders"? :)

Heidi said...

I've been afraid to watch that show in case I relate too much. I've been much better ever since I helped Sis Coobs "clean" her bedroom that was so full of stuff they hadn't used it in years. She didn't get rid of a single thing--just moved it all around. I swore never to become like that, so although I still collect stuff, I purge every couple years.