Sunday, December 14, 2008

"...brown paper packages tied up with string..."

These are a few of my favorite things. Obviously not my VERY favorite, like my family and faith and country, but more like a few items I've come to love enough to want to tell you about them. If I were Oprah I'd send you each a gift basket of these things, but I'm not Oprah. Sorry. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Songs for Christmas by Sufjan Stevens. His version of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" just makes me happy. (The bells toward the end make it Christmasy...) I'm also very fond of "Sister Winter." I have yet to buy the whole album, so there are probably other favorites waiting to be discovered.
2. 100 percent cotton 800-thread-count sheets. It's like a little present to myself every time I put them on our bed. They are heavy and silky and drape like a dream, and will probably last forever. It was a bit of an indulgence, but I found a great deal online and haven't regretted it once. The only drawback is that they wrinkle like the dickens when washed and are impossible to iron, so I have them dry cleaned. Needless to say, I have only one set and rotate it with our regular sheets, but that makes it that much nicer when they are on the bed.
3. "Excite" personal lubricant. Oh my, it works. I will say no more.
4. Hershey's chocolate truffle kisses. They're dark chocolate kisses with a truffle filling. I've been disappointed by some of the other limited-edition Kisses (cherry cordial and candy corn being the most stomach-churning), but these are fantastic.
5. The MoTab/Sissel version of "Angels from the Realms of Glory" (available here). Best listened to on headphones, with the volume as high as you can tolerate. Absolutely thrilling.
That's it for now. What are some of your favorite things?

2 comments:

Carlee said...

We have the whole Sufjan album if you ever need the full experience. It's fabulous. I listen to it all the way through about once per day.

Gordita said...

It's at times like this that I really wish you were Oprah. I'm going to have to check out the Sufjan album.