Monday, March 31, 2008

Atticus Has Arrived

Just over two weeks ago our sweet little Atticus James came into this world. He came 10 weeks earlier than expected; my body just couldn't hold on to him anymore. Despite his early arrival, however, he is healthy and strong. My dear BFF Wendy has more of the details of these first two weeks on her blog here and here, so I won't repeat it all.

Atty gave us a scare last week. On Thursday his nurse noticed that he just wasn't doing as well as he had been before, and when he didn't seem to be digesting his formula and showing signs of gas, they jumped into hyper-cautious mode and started treating him for an infection. They stopped feeding him formula and put him back on IVs and antibiotics, and poor little guy got poked and prodded and x-rayed for several days. They never found the infection, but based on how he was acting and the marginal results of some of the tests, they're pretty convinced he had one somewhere. He's been a lot spunkier since Saturday night, so we feel he's on the mend. If all goes well, they'll start him back on formula today.

It's still an emotional roller coaster. This possible infection really scared us both, but we talked to another mother in the same NICU room as us, and she helped put things into perspective. Her baby has been there for four months so far--she was born at 23 weeks and weighed just over 1 lb. We told her about the infection, and she said they'd been through the same thing three times. "The first time is the hardest," she said. But her baby continues to grow and get stronger, and so will Atty. I have to say, though, it's one thing to hear the high recovery rates and know that a baby has the best chances of coming home and leading a healthy life, and it's another thing entirely when it's your baby.


These pictures were taken last night (30 March). They're kind of dark because the room was dim and James didn't want to startle Atty with the flash. He was sleeping peacefully, and we hate to disturb him too much when he gets the chance to rest. But he had fewer tubes and wires attached to him than we've seen in a week, so we had to take some pictures. One of these days we'll catch him with his eyes open. He'd been more alert during a couple visits last week before he got sick, but we didn't have the camera with us. I think I'll keep it with me all the time now, just in case.

He's such a beautiful little boy, and we are so grateful for him. We love him dearly and miss not being with him. We are so grateful for all the love and support we've received from friends and family and even relative strangers. We truly could not make it through this without you.

8 comments:

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

He is such a beautiful baby! I am glad to hear that he is doing well, and that all are feeling better every day. What a cute baby boy!

Erin said...

I love the pictures!! And I know what you mean about the "percentages" meaning something different when it's your baby. A woman I know has cancer, and although she's doing great and her doc says she has a 93% chance of complete recovery, she said, "There's always that 7 percent." I guess even the small percentages are worrisome when you're talking about your own life, or the life of someone you love.

I know Atticus will continue to do well. I'm sure he's so much happier now that you and James are able to spend time with him and hold him.

I'm excited to see more pictures as he gets more and more alert!
:)

Tech Geek said...

Glad to hear the update! And thanks for sharing the pictures, he's a cutie!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! We're so happy he's doing well. We've been thinking about you and praying for you.

OctopusFingerpuppet said...

Yay! More pictures! When's your baby shower? :)

Anonymous said...

What a darling little man. We love him! Thank you for keeping us posted, we love the pictures and hearing about all the progress he's making. You have all been in our thoughts and prayers these past few weeks. What a beautiful family you are. We wish we could be there to help ease the transition into parenthood. Look for Miss A to make her debut in Zion this summer...

Love to you--

M

K said...

Aww, Atticus is so sweet. What a handsome little guy.
We're thinking about you all and praying for you.

TheIsom8 said...

Heidi-your little guy is such a cutie! Garth and I were so excited to see your blog via Wendy's. We hope for a very speedy recovery for Atticus! You are in our thoughts and prayers!