- We bought some dolls and toys around Christmas to donate to the homeless shelter, and Atticus liked the baby dolls enough that he made one for himself. He named it Joe. Atticus has grown attached to our neighbor, who is named Joe. And apparently there's a Joe in the show he's currently watching, so baby Joe it is. He's lying on a blanket.

- He's currently afraid of elevators. And ghosts. And public bathrooms. But he's no longer afraid of the characters from the video game Five Nights at Freddy's, which he's never actually played or watched anyone play. But the logo and the licensed apparel he's seen at school were apparently enough. He will go on the biggest, scariest roller coasters and have no problem watching orcs and alien monsters in movies, but whatever you do, don't make him get into an elevator. Or watch a clip from A Christmas Carol. *sigh*
- We were cleaning his room Friday when he mentioned that he wanted to create a little library/reading nook under his loft bed. I thought it was a great idea, so we went to IKEA on Saturday and got him a bookshelf and repurposed a lamp, and he's got a cozy little spot under there now. As we were brushing our teeth he asked, "Why did you get me that shelf?" He'd asked me that about three times already, so I told him again that I just liked his idea. Should I NOT have gotten him the shelf? And he said, "No, I just didn't think it would ever actually come true." Yep, son, sometimes you DO get what you want.

- James and I went to the temple Friday, and Atticus went to hang out with my visiting teacher and her 14-year-old son. On the way to the door, Atticus said, "I don't want you to leave." Me: "Why not? You'll have a great time here." Him: "I'm afraid you won't come back." Me: "Atticus, we're just going to the temple. I will always come home to you." Him: "But maybe there will be a shooting at the temple." Me: "If I have to crawl on my hands and knees, I will come home to you." *smiles* (He had so much fun, it was hard to get him to leave.)
- Saturday night we went to a blues/jazz performance by 97-year-old local legend Joe McQueen and his band. (It was fantastic.) Atticus wasn't thrilled about it until he heard the words "refreshments booth." During the second number James gave him some cash and sent him for snacks. He came back with a Sprite and a Twix and was happy for the rest of the show. Or at least most of the show. We left before it was over, and he fell asleep in the car on the way home.
- He was so tired because he didn't get to bed until 10 the night before. Then he came into our room at 6:00 in the morning, wearing his Link costume. We told him to go back to bed, and he said he'd woken up at 5:00 and had already been waiting FOREVER before coming in. Duuuude. Get some sleep.
- While I was taking a nap on Sunday, Atticus decided to create a restaurant called "Home Servis Inn." I woke up to a boy in a sweater vest and a dishtowel belted around his waist for an apron. He had a name tag and handed me a menu of snacks I could order (I went for the "walnut yum yums" and a glass of water). He was very professional about it. We had a very simple dinner planned, so I decided to extend the game by letting him serve us dinner in his restaurant. I talked him through reheating everything, then placed my order at the hosting counter. He seated us when it was ready. We had placemats and nice glasses and artistically arranged veggies. And he insisted that he had to eat after we were done because he's the server.
I just realized that most of this occurred in one weekend. That's my boy. I love this kid.
2 comments:
Thanks so much for the updates! I loved catching up with what's been happening with you all!
Does he need a baby to be a daddy to? We know where to get a good one, or maybe a boy sock doll like Mike had but dressed in something Star Wars instead of camouflage. Whaddaya think?
Post a Comment