Saturday, July 10, 2010

Loping through the Lavender

This morning my mom and I participated in a 5K at the Young Living Lavender Farm. Young Living Essential Oils is one of myriad health-related multilevel marketing companies in Utah County, and they happen to have a huge lavender field in Mona, Utah, south of Santaquin and just north of the edge of nowhere. Here we are at the starting line:

The guy in the hat behind us is the CEO of the company, and he started the race with a shotgun. Later there would be a staged gunfight in which he played Wyatt Earp. We left before that event. My mom thought ahead and dressed appropriately in lavender. I didn't. Oops.

Here we are toward the end of the race. I was able to run most of the way (walking no more than 2-3 minutes at a time), so I finished ahead of my mom, who was walking. So I came back and met up with her so we could finish together.

I had to include both pictures, because she looks better in one and I look better in the other. No hope for my hair, though. It would not be contained this morning.
After the race there was muffins and fruit and trying to find our times. They only had the first 300 people or so posted (out of over 1,000), and we weren't on that list. So I have no idea how long it took me.
It was hard--the longest I've ever run--but once it was done I was already thinking about the next race, the one where I'd run the whole time, not stopping even once. Maybe I'll find one in the fall when it's not so hot. It was an odd feeling for this natural couch potato. I can see how people get hooked on this stuff.

2 comments:

brook said...

are you going to become addicted to running? I've tried so many times to get into the habit, but I just can't!
I miss you.

Heidi said...

I don't know that I'll actually get addicted to running--I have yet to experience "runner's high." But I don't dread the thought like I used to.