Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Hunger" is not a four-letter word

I've been hungry lately. Constantly hungry. But I'm ok with that. It's a strange feeling. Let me explain.

I am trying to lose weight, but I don't believe in diets. Diets mean self-deprivation, which for me means setting myself up for failure. So I don't diet. I just eat less and exercise more, and so far it's been working.

But lately my appetite has been going crazy. I eat breakfast, and I'm still hungry. I eat a good lunch, and I'm still hungry. I have a snack, and I'm still hungry. I have dinner... you get the idea. The odd part is I can't think of anything else I want to eat. Sure, I could go eat another bowl of Cheerios right now. Or a peanutty granola bar. Or even potato chips and ranch dip. Nothing's stopping me, and it's all in my kitchen right now. I'm not counting points or limiting carbs or anything. But instead here I sit, hungry. And I don't mind. I just don't want those things right now. And I don't think they'd make the hunger go away. At least not for very long. And I'd rather be a little hungry than overfull and bloated.

This is an odd thing in my history, and quite revolutionary. Part of me hopes this is a permanent thing, and another part wonders how long it will last before I go back to eating everything in sight. We'll see.

No comments: