In addition to diet and exercise, I started taking prescription drugs about a week ago to help lower my cholesterol. But just a couple days ago I noticed a warning on the bottle I hadn't seen before: "Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice at any time while taking this medication."I laughed out loud. Grapefruit? What could be wrong with grapfruit? And wouldn't you know it, I'd just bought grapefruit a few days before.
So I looked it up online and apparently grapefruit interacts with the enzymes that break down the medication, which can lead to potentially toxic buildup of the drugs in your body. There's no evidence that any other citrus fruit has the same reaction.
So, um, anybody want a free grapefruit?
1 comment:
That is really interesting. I love reading your posts. They really contain a lot of good information as well and humor. :) I hope all is going well for you all.
Post a Comment