Friday, January 30, 2009

I may have a new addiction

Meet Gertie, my first real softie creation. I absolutely love her. Most of the fabric is recycled clothing (Kristina, do you recognize the fabric on her beak and feet?), and I got the pattern for free here. I sewed through my finger sewing on her beak (it's like a tiny shirt sleeve), so next time I'll do that part by hand. But other than that, she was easy to put together.

I knew the pattern would be cute, but I was totally unprepared for the thrill I got when I finally sewed all the pieces together and turned her right-side-out. Even without stuffing, this little goose was brought to life and had a name: Gertrude (though she prefers Gertie). I'd thought of other names, but as soon as I saw her all put together, I honestly couldn't remember what they were. I think one was Stella. But this wasn't Stella, this was Gertie.

I'd heard other stuffie artists say that each piece "tells" you what it wants to be, but I thought that was a bit too precious and cute. Now I get it.

It's been snowing here lately, so I made Gertie a bonnet and scarf. But she hates winter. Winter requires sensible shoes, and Gertie hates sensible shoes. She's a summer girl who loves color and warm breezes and fresh produce and green grass. She doesn't like parks, though, because there are usually dogs at parks and she doesn't like dogs.
I told all of this to her new owner, who lives in Bountiful. I made Gertie for a handmade swap, which was designed to celebrate handmade goods and bring awareness to proposed legislation that threatens to destroy the market for handmade toys and other children's items. The bill is intended to protect kids from products tainted with lead, but the testing requirements are so steep that smaller manufacturers that use high-quality, natural materials wouldn't be able to afford them or compete. Revisions have been proposed that would ameliorate this, but we're not in the clear yet. Learn more here.

4 comments:

Gordita said...

I absolutely LOVE Gertie. She is adorable and the name fits her. That fabric is perfect for her feet and beak. You are amazingly talented!

K said...

What a crafty girl you are. I'm so impressed. I like your style.
I had a great time reading your blog tonight, and I'm totally in on the taking more walks thing. I need to do that, too. Thank heavens for ward goals!

Carlee said...

She did turn out really cute. I'm surprised to hear she is your first softie. I've seriously made at least a dozen now.

Erin said...

Heidi, I love it! You should be selling these online, sort of like the cotton monster site. I would definitely buy one. :)