Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ouch.

We're getting close to finalizing our insurance settlement from the accident, and I got a copy of this message from our lawyer to the insurance company:

"Given the medical expenses and limited insurance available, Heidi will not come close to being made whole."

That almost made me cry. I know what he meant: "After medical expenses, her cash settlement will not adequately compensate for her injury." But that line "Heidi will not come close to being made whole" just pierced me. My leg never will be whole again. I will function normally, but never as well as I would have otherwise.

And that hurts.

I was going to give this a positive spin, a life-affirming "it will all work out for the best" vibe, which I do believe, but I think right now I just want to feel that hurt and accept it.

2 comments:

Jenene said...

Yep.

Nicole said...

Heidi! I'm so happy to find a place where I can read your writing. I miss you, too. You are so smart and wise, even if you're not "whole" anymore. :( I need to go back into your blog and find out what happened to your leg. Please let's do find a way to get together.