Thursday, September 20, 2012

The evolution of a foot.

July 23

7 August
Mutant foot from outer space. 

7 August
Nasty, fibrous super-scab. I had to gradually cut that off for the wound to heal properly. Yeah, I mean with scissors.

28 August
Das boot. Hot, nasty thing.

28 August
This was probably in the morning, since there's not a huge difference between the two.

7 September
Aaaaaaand this is in the evening. 
First and last time I've worn those shoes since the accident. (Man, they really need a polish.)
When I wear tennis shoes I have "muffin top" ankle. 

I had the big screws taken out a week and a half ago, which immediately decreased my joint pain. The incision still hurts, and the stitches don't come out for another couple weeks. They were supposed to come out next week, but my doctor is out of the office. I'd be tempted to take them out myself if I didn't need to ask the doctor some questions.

I've been going to physical therapy, and I have much more flexibility in my ankle. My therapist says I'll get 90% recovery within about six months. The last 10% takes another six months. And I'll probably have arthritis in this ankle from now on, but staying active will reduce the symptoms. My insurance covers only 20 PT visits per calendar year, and I've had 12. So we're going down to one visit per week, and I get to go back to the gym for the rest. I've been using a seated stationary bike at home, but I need to work on my hips and legs more specifically. Rowing machine, here I come.

Overall I feel like life is coming back together. I still have no desire to cook, but our house is back to normal and I'm back at work a couple days a week. Atticus is back at his old preschool. We love his teacher. James is back at Hunter High. So we're getting back to normal. Just don't ask me to walk very fast. 

4 comments:

Gordita said...

I'm so glad that things are returning to normal for you. I've been wondering how you were doing.

K said...

I'm so glad you keep us updated. I have thought of you often. I hope everything stays on the up and up! Love you!

Lara said...

Looking SO much better!! I'm sad about the scar, but I know it will fade.

Heidi said...

Me too, Lara, but it's already looking better when it's not swollen. I'm starting to have hope that I will have an ankle again. It may be frankenankle, but at least it will look like an ankle.