Sunday, April 17, 2011

Keeping Up with Atticus

Atticus is growing and getting smarter every day, every minute it seems. So I thought I'd record a few of his latest developments before I forget them.

  • Today James found him playing with the outlet in his room. When James asked what he was doing, he said matter-of-factly, "Checking my email."

  • James jokingly asked him if he wanted to come in the shower with him (Atty hates getting water on his head), and Atticus replied, "No tanks. I took a bath last night."

  • We were on a walk earlier this week, and he would run ahead of me, stop, reach down to his ankles with an up/down motion, then start running again. When I got closer I could hear him making hydraulic "tchoo, tchoo" noises as he did it. Later I learned he was turning on and off his brakes. "Brake on, brake off!"

  • Yesterday he was running at the park, but it was more of a gallop. James asked me if this was like the "Heidi Hop" Grandma would talk about, but I don't remember. Mom, what was the "Heidi Hop?"

  • He still resists potty training a bit, but when he's successful he's soooo proud of himself and jumps around with his fists up and cheers. (Of course we jump and cheer with him.) During one of these celebrations, I asked if he was ready to get in the tub, and while still jumping, he said, "No Mama. I jumping."

  • James made popcorn one night and put some parmesan cheese on it. Atty was excited for popcorn but when he tasted it, he made a face and said, "Cheese?" and wouldn't eat anymore. James asked if he wanted more, and he said, "No tanks. It doesn't taste very good."

  • He's starting to really get into imaginative play. I love listening to him play trains and what he makes them say. Usually their conversations repeat our own conversations.

  • We were playing trucks one day, and I asked what he wanted one of the trains to do. He tapped his temple and said, "I tinking, I tinking..." Then made his decision.

  • I asked him if he was ready to get dressed one morning, and he replied, "No Mama. I got lots to do."

  • When he's feeling goofy at bedtime he'll make his own versions of our bedtime songs. He'll insert whatever toy he's playing with into the song: "I am a child of God-wheelo," "Give said the little Toby," etc.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of now (there are a few poop-related ones, but I'm not sure this is the right place for those). James, can you think of any more?

1 comment:

Jerry and Jenene said...

Yep, as I recall, that hop and skip is a Heidi-hop.